To attend Newcomer International Center (NIC), potential students must meet the following criteria:
Student(s) must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- The student is 14-17 years old.
- Has resided in the U.S. for less than one calendar year.
- The first language is one other than English.
- Has never attended school, has gaps in schooling, or has attended school but cannot produce documents (transcripts) that indicate their current level of education.
- WIDA Screener composite score of 1.0-1.9
- If the student has met ALL the above requirements, they will be placed in the 9th grade at NIC.
- If the student has been enrolled in an MSCS school and placed in any grade other than 9th grade, they do not qualify.
Call 901-416-6055 Monday-Friday 9:00-3:00PM for more information, or to set up an appointment to enroll.
Required Documents for Enrollment
- Birth Certificate (If not available, bring US Customs Detention Center exit papers.)
- Proof of Guardianship if parent is not enrolling the student (Note: If student is an unaccompanied minor and meets the enrollment criteria listed above, no further documentation is necessary.)
- Tennessee Proof of Vaccination (If not available, bring US Customs Detention Center exit papers. Students have ten school days to bring in Tennessee Proof of Vaccination.)
- Proof of Address Student(s) must live in Shelby County Schools district. Proof can be in the form of a bill, a bank statement, or some other document that has the guardian's name and address on it. If a guardian cannot prove residency, but lives with someone in the school district, the guardian must provide a "Shared Housing Affidavit" that has been notarized. The Shared Housing Affidavit form can be obtained in our main office.